Welcome! We are glad you have chosen Asheville City Schools for your child’s education. Asheville City Schools operates as a Magnet School district. Find out more about each school and their magnet theme by selecting the school name below:
School of Arts & Humanities
Hall Fletcher Elementary
Ira B. Jones Elementary
School of Global Scholars
Isaac Dickson Elementary
School of Experiential Learning
Lucy S. Herring Elementary
School of Ecology
Now that you have decided on a school, let's get started on the enrollment process!
STEP 1 - Online Enrollment Application
You will begin your enrollment by completing an online application. If you have more than one student to enroll, you will be given the opportunity at the end of your first application to enroll an additional student using the same demographics you have already provided. To get started, choose one of the following:
2022-2023 Application for Enrollment
2023-2024 Application for Enrollment
2023-2024 Application for Enrollment(Spanish)
STEP 2 - Submitting Documentation
After you’ve completed your application you must provide the following documentation:
- Copy of your child’s birth certificate
- Proof of guardianship (if different than birth certificate) - This can include divorce papers, Social Services paperwork, or paperwork signed by a judge awarding custody. Custody paperwork authorized by a judge or Social Services/foster care placement paperwork is required for all children not living with their natural parent.
- Photo identification of parent/legal guardian
- Two proofs of residency - One must be a current utility bill (electricity, water, gas) and the other must be a current mortgage statement, rental/lease agreement, buyer’s agreement, or property tax bill.
- Copy of up-to-date immunization records - If your child is not immunized, you will need to speak with a school nurse. Immunization records are due within 30 calendar days of enrollment.
- Health assessment - All students new to North Carolina Public Schools must have a completed NC Health Assessment Form. This form is due within 30 calendar days of enrollment.
The above documentation will need to be submitted in person, by mail or by email (email@example.com) to the Enrollment Office located at 85 Mountain St, Asheville City Schools Board of Education. Enrollment documentation may be dropped off anytime between the hours of 8-12 and 1-4, Monday - Friday.
Have questions or need assistance with enrollment? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (828) 350-6111 during business hours.
What is a Magnet School?
Usually, children attend public schools in the areas where they live. In comparison, magnet schools are not defined by geographic area. Instead, those living in the Asheville City Schools district may attend the elementary school of their choice, as long as there is space available and racial balance is maintained.
Asheville City Schools developed the Magnet School Program to allow elementary students to attend the school whose magnet theme best matches their interests. A key feature of magnet schools is the special subject matter that is not generally offered to students of the same age or grade level in non-magnet schools. Each school follows NC State Standards in all subject areas, and they are taught within the overall theme of the school. The goal of each magnet theme is to promote high achievement, cultural diversity, and choice for curriculum delivery.
In compliance with North Carolina law, students must be five years of age on or before August 31 to be considered for Kindergarten.
Immunizations and Health Assessment Requirements
In compliance with North Carolina law, all children entering a North Carolina public school for the first time must submit proof of a health assessment within 30 days. The health assessment must have been completed within 12 months prior to the date the child would have first been eligible for initial entry into public schools. In addition, North Carolina law requires parents/guardians to present certification of immunizations on or before the first day of school entry. If documentation is not presented, parents/guardians have 30 calendar days to provide documentation or the student shall be excluded from school until proof is provided.
Need more information about our schools?
Click here to access School Videos
85 Mountain Street
Asheville, NC 28801