Install Z-Scaler Certificate for BYOT Devices
The Z-Scaler certifcate establish a trust relationship between your BYOT device and out the Internet filter. For the web filter to work properly, please download and install the Z-Scaler certificate. You will not be able to get to many websites if you do not install the Z-Scaler certificate. No data is collected from your computer, and no software or off-site monitoring capabilities are ever installed on personally-owned devices.
Before you install the certificate, you will need to download it to your computer. Please refer to the installation instructions below for your device.
Z-Scaler Certificate Download Link <--- use this link to download the certificate for all devices
- Use Internet Explorer. This is very important. Chrome uses the certificate installed for Internet Explorer.
- Download the certificate and save to a location of your choice (you will need to know where it is later).
- In Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu, select Internet Options, and then in the window that appears switch to the Content tab and click the "Certificates" button.
- To install the certificate go to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities tab and click the "Import..." button.
- In the Certificate Import Wizard window that appears click the "Next" button.
- To select the Z-Scaler certificate you just downloaded, press the "Browse..." button.
- Find the saved Z-Scaler certificate file (from step 2 above) and click the "Open" button, then "Next", and then "Finish".
Google Chrome Web Browser Users: In Windows, the Chrome web browser pulls its certificate configuration from Internet Explorer, therefore no further action is required. Once the Z-Scaler Certificate is installed successfully to Internet Explorer, Google Chrome will also work with the Z-Scaler web filter.
Mac (MacBook Pro, MacBook Air)
- Download Z-Scaler Certificate.
- Double-Click file. Depending on your version of OS X, either
- the "Keychain" window will open, where you will install the Z-Scaler Certificates, or
- in the "Add Certificates" window, select "System" under "Keychain"....click "Add".
- Enter your Mac password.
- If prompted, select "Always Trust This Certificate".
iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod)
- Use Safari mobile web browser.
- Click the link to download the file.
- Click "Install".
- Click "Install Now".
- If you have a passcode on your device, you will need to enter it when prompted.
- Download the Z-Scaler certificate to USB flash drive or the downloads folder on the Chromebook.
- Open Settings from the Chromebook browser’s menu.
- Select Show advanced settings.
- Find HTTPS/SSL and click Manage certificates.
- Select Authorities.
- Scroll down and click Import.
- Locate the the Z-Scaler certificate from the location you saved it to in step 1, click Open.
- Select “Trust this certificate for identifying websites".
- Click OK to finish the process.
- Close all dialogue boxes.
**If sharing Chromebooks, EACH USER must install the Z-Scaler certificate to the Chromebook they are using, under their sign in. At this point in time, Certificates are user specific on the Chromebooks, not device specific.
- Click the link to download the Z-Scaler certificate.
- Android will ask you what to name the certificate. Provide a name for the certificate (example: ZS2048)
- Click OK.
- The certificate will be installed.