This outdoor classroom design serves as our vision, as we add elements based on the realities of our site, maintenance needs, and available resources.
Please contact Enrollment and Engagement Coordinator, Polly Bolding, about volunteer needs! If you are not a current parent with our school, please plan to complete an Asheville City Schools Secure Volunteer background check prior to volunteering.
Current volunteer needs and Outdoor Workdays are shared with enrolled Primary and Preschool families weekly via email in the Asheville Primary School Weekly Family Message.
We can always use donations to enhance and maintain our outdoor learning environment. Let us know if you would like a letter with our Tax ID number to request community donations.
Asheville Primary School Field Wish List
- Plant starts and transplants - hardy perennials, veggies, trees, shrubs, pollinator plants...
- Adult tools for volunteer groups - shovels, pitchforks, wheelbarrows, gloves, hand trowels
- Tomato cages
- Trellis panels
- Rain barrels
- Metal buckets
- Natural loose parts (sticks, rocks, bamboo, tree cookies, etc.)
- Bags of leaves
- Wooden, child-sized outdoor furniture
- Stepping stones
- River rock/boulders, all sizes
- Mud kitchen supplies: pots, pans, spoons, baking pans, etc.
- Rain boots - our goal is a few class sets in varying sizes for Pre-K-2nd graders. View printable donation request.
- Other natural materials and garden supplies, used and new - ask us!
The Field at Asheville Primary School has received donations and volunteer support from:
- Hawks Landscaping
- The Buncombe Partnership for Children/Shape NC
- Asheville School
- Royce's Tree Service
- Danny's Dumpster
- The Biltmore Estate
- Asheville Fruit and Nut Club/Gabbi White
- NC Extension Service Master Gardeners
- Asheville Adventure Play
- Sow True Seed
- Appalachian Sustainable Agricultural Project
- Roots Foundation
- Mission Hospital
- Duke Energy
- Jonathan Price Sprinkle
- The Gap Outlet