Asheville City Schools
Excellence with Equity
- Asheville City Schools
Asheville City Board of Education Approves 2021-2022 Calendar
Good Evening Students, Staff and Families. This is Ashley-Michelle Thublin, Executive Director of Communications.
During the March 22, 2021 Special Called Meeting, the Asheville City Board of Education approved a revised calendar for the 2021-2022 school year.
Unfortunately, the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction did not grant Asheville City Schools a calendar waiver for the 2021-2022 school year. Based on the state’s current calendar law, this means our start date can be no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26th. In an effort to overturn this decision and start the school year earlier, the district has reached out to Asheville/Buncombe County’s state representatives to ask for their support in introducing or supporting legislation that would grant a non-weather related waiver for the 2021-2022 school year. If legislative action were to take place in the spring or summer, our local board of education could, at that time, shift back to the previously adopted draft calendar with a start date of August 16, 2021.
Therefore, the current 2021 - 2022 school year includes 215 calendar days, 177 school days and exceeds the state’s requirement of 1,025 hours by 29.5 hours. In addition to the five inclement weather make-up days listed on the bottom of the calendar, hours above and beyond state requirements are considered “banked time” and could be used to forgive lost instructional should the district experience excess inclement weather next school year.
Additional, items of interest about the 2021-2022 calendar include:
- The first day of school is August 23, 2021.
- Middle and high school students will have bi-weekly two-hour delays in order for secondary schools to fully implement Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS). By having a set dedicated time, staff will be able to meet in Professional Learning Communities for core problem solving, planning and ongoing data analysis which will improve instructional practices tied to increasing outcomes for all students. Click here to read more about next year’s secondary late starts and how this change will impact your family. The first will be September 1, 2021.
- For students, Winter Break will begin on Monday, December 20, 2021 and end on Friday, December 31, 2022.
- First semester exams will be carried out after Winter Break the week of January 10 - 14, 2022
- For students, Spring Break will be Monday, April 11 - 18, 2022.
- Tuesday, June 7, 2022 will be the last day of classes.
Have a great evening, and thank you for your continued support of Asheville City Schools.