What can I do to prevent coronavirus?
- Students and staff should stay home when they are sick. If students or staff members have a fever, they should stay home until they are fever-free.
- Avoid other people who are sick.
- Everyone - students, staff, school volunteers and visitors - should wash their hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (about as long as it takes to sing “Happy Birthday” twice). We will be providing increased emphasis on hand washing in our schools. The CDC says the washing of hands is the first line of defense. In fact, one of our sources states that washing your hands at least five times a day could reduce the likelihood of contracting a respiratory infection by around 15 to 20%.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your arm. The CDC is not advising the wearing of masks.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose.
- Parents are reminded to consult their physician if they have any concerns.
- Residents who return from recent international travel with history of travel to affected areas and become ill with respiratory signs and symptoms such as fever and cough should report their travel history to any health professional or medical facility, when they visit.