How will heating and cooling systems be tested and maintained?
- The Asheville City Schools Maintenance Department has taken the following steps within the past two months:
- Hired an outside, third-party consultant to inspect the functionality of all HVAC systems. The third-party consultant is prepared to go through the systems again in the month of October. They made recommendations to our Maintenance Department, which our staff have continued to follow including: outside air flow, indoor humidity maintenance, air filtration, etc.
- Hired an outside, third-party to inspect the air-quality within each ACS building.
- Changed the minimum level air filters in our HVAC air handlers required by federal regulations to the higher grade MERV-13 filters. This is the grade of filter used in hospitals and care-centers.
- Purchased and will continue to purchase outdoor pavilion tents for schools to set-up outdoor learning areas. This will only of course be effective as the temperature and weather allows us to use those areas.